[ExI] Neural networks score higher than humans in reading and comprehension test

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 22:45:29 UTC 2018

John-

I'm not trying to take anything away from the accomplishments, but current
deep learning architectures are nowhere close to strong AI, and in my
humble opinion are likely a dead end in that regard.

I will quote the inventor of Keras which is a heavily used deep learning
library layered on top of Tensorflow (or other) architecture to sum up my
views:

"Neural networks" are a sad misnomer. They're neither neural nor even
networks. They're chains of differentiable, parameterized geometric
functions,  trained with gradient descent (with gradients obtained via the
chain rule). A small set of highschool-level ideas put together

and

"I'd say ML is both overhyped and underrated. People overestimate the
intelligence & generalization power of ML systems (ML as a magic wand), but
underestimate how much can be achieved with relatively crude systems, when
applied systematically (ML as the steam power of our era)"