[ExI] Aging is now included into the WHO work program. Thanks!

Ilia Stambler ilia.stambler at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 15:01:59 UTC 2018

Dear friends,

Following the previous extensive correspondence and the recent WHO
Executive Board Meeting that was completed on January 27, I felt it was
necessary to provide an update on the campaign that many longevity
activists were conducting for the inclusion of aging health into the WHO
work program.

*Briefly: Congratulations, the longevity activists have won!*

Thanks to the international advocacy campaign, WHO now has included a
strong focus on “healthy aging” into the new WHO draft work program.

See the latest work program draft in English and all the 6 UN official
languages (as of January 2018)

http://www.who.int/about/what-we-do/gpw-thirteen-consultation/en/

http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/EB142/B142_3-en.pdf?ua=1

See especially paragraphs 15, 16, 17, 37, including the *WHO commitment to
advance the Global Strategy and Action Plan (GSAP) on Ageing and Health* (until
2020, including the strategic objective 5 for “improving measurement,
monitoring and understanding of healthy ageing”) and to *prepare for the
Decade of Healthy Aging* (2020-2030).

Perhaps the most significant for advocacy is that Paragraph 17 of the work
program declares that “*Ensuring healthy ageing is an urgent challenge in
all countries*” and Paragraph 15 declares the major public health goal
“*to live
not just long but also healthy lives*” and suggests *the use of “healthy
life expectancy” as the main measure of health care success*. Such goals
and measures for healthy longevity can be advocated and quoted also at the
national and local level.

So thanks again to everybody who participated in the campaign to include
aging health into the WHO work program for your contribution! Here the head
of the WHO Ageing and Life Course division acknowledges the importance of
this campaign for the change of the program, and quotes the article “Aging
health and R&D for healthy longevity must be included into the WHO work
program” as an example of the successful joint advocacy effort.

https://twitter.com/DrJohnBeard/status/938418218473082881

http://www.aginganddisease.org/article/0000/2152-5250/147696

*Hopefully, this advocacy will continue, to ensure healthy longevity is not
just planned, but actively advanced and implemented.* If you organize or
are involved in further longevity advocacy campaigns – either for specific
topics (like the one for the WHO) or specific dates and occasions, as was
practiced in the past – e.g. the Jeanne Calment day on February 21
(commemorating the longest-lived human), the Future Day on March 1
(particularly to celebrate emerging health technologies), The World Health
Day on April 7, the Elie Metchnikoff Day on May 15 (commemorating the
founder of gerontology), or the Longevity Day/Month in October – please
share your plans and actions, so we could perhaps coordinate together and
create a stronger impact!

Thankfully,

Ilia Stambler, PhD

Chief Science Officer. Vetek (Seniority) Association – the Senior Citizens
Movement (Israel)

http://www.longevityisrael.org/

Outreach coordinator. International Society on Aging and Disease (ISOAD)

http://www.isoad.org/

Coordinator. Longevity for All

http://www.longevityforall.org/

--