[ExI] book libertarianism and communitarianism

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 22:38:37 UTC 2018

American Character, by Colin Woodard.

OK, so I have always hated history classes, and never made above a C in it
(exception: ancient history, a B).  Still hate it, but I am afraid that
some of what I read in this book changed by beliefs about libertarianism
and communitarianism.

Many examples throughout show that what results from either one of these
alone results in tyranny.  You have to have a balance of both.

Free markets associated with libertarianism in the late 1800s strangled the
marketplace, made prices wildly out of whack with supply and demand, and
many more.  Result - the free market was not free.  Railroad boardrooms ran
the country.

Truly an eye-opener.  Some of you may know all this, but if so, how could
you remain a strict libertarianism? By being a Social Darwinist?

bill w