[ExI] Science or Scientism?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:18:02 UTC 2018

Many of these questions concern the things
that are most important of all: faith, hope, love, truth, beauty, and
goodness — these do not lie in the territory of science.
bill k

Well, too bad for everybody except physics and chemistry and some biology.
Or not.

Develop a measuring instrument.  Use it until you have proved its
reliability.  Apply it to some problem and find that measurements correlate
with something important, which means that you can use it to predict that
something.  Is this not science?

Conclusion:  if you can measure something  and predict something with some
accuracy, I say you have done science.

Science does not imply certain areas of study.  Repeat - NOT.

Of course some things are hard to define, like intelligence.  Whether you
accept the tests as measuring intelligence, they do an excellent job of
predicting important things.  Clearly they measure something, whatever you
choose to call it.  (personally, I'd like to see measurements of dark
energy, and other concepts made up so that the theoretical equations make
sense - some of these concepts make no more sense than saying God did it)

If this is an attack on soft science, then fine.  Every area needs to
improve its precision, generalizability, and so on.  But to call something
not a science just because it cannot measure things to the 23rd decimal
place is just foolish.  Classically throwing the baby out with the bath
water.

Psychology is my area and a lot of it is not at all scientific.  That is
why I got out of clinical to begin my career.  A lot of stupid, unreliable
studies done with questionable statistics - yes, all of that.  More than
plenty, I say.  But we are contributing everywhere, whether it is designing
dashboards for spaceships, or analyzing the dosage of an antipsychotic, or
finding out which brain areas do what, and tons more.

So I would take Bill K's stance as a challenge to do better science, not
find some new name to call it.

bill w