[ExI] camp fire: was RE: Transparent Society problem

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:01:42 UTC 2018

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 16:27, spike wrote:
> We are reading all about the catastrophic fires in Paradise CA.  I have some friends with a snowbird nest there, but usually they don't fly south until Thanksgiving.  Their place up on Whidbey Island Washington is off grid and they have no internet presence up there, but they do in California.  They haven't posted, so I assumed they were still up in Washington.  The news had a list of the unaccounted; I was feeling better as it got down to about 100 people and my friends were not on the list.
>
> Now they are claiming there are over 1000 unaccounted for.  I ask please: how the hell can the unaccounted go from 100 to 1000?  Who is making these lists?  Where were the other 900 who are now unaccounted?  Why is the list of 1000 not available online when the list of 100 was?  Anyone know where to find a list of the 1000?
>
> So now we have a new problem: we have all this public-domain information with no way to know if it is accurate.  We know sometimes when it is inaccurate: we find all kinds of contradictory news stories.  We are left hoping this 1000 count is way wrong.

This article seems to explain where the numbers come from (and say not
to worry).

<https://www.680news.com/2018/11/16/california-wildfires-update-missing/>
Quote:
The number of people unaccounted for grew from 631 on Thursday night
to more than 1,000 on Friday, but Sheriff Kory Honea said the list was
dynamic and could easily contain duplicate names and unreliable
spellings of names.
He said the roster probably includes some who fled the blaze and do
not realize they’ve been reported missing.
Authorities compiled the list by going back to listen to all the
dispatch calls they received since the fire started, to make sure they
didn’t miss anyone.
--------

BillK