[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 16:32:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> The problem with a perfect intelligence in a box is that it always does
> have the power to get out, in a sense.  It can convince those who are
> already outside the box to do things in accordance with its desires.  It
> spews memes.  It finds out it is in a box, then controls the world using
> its carbon-based appendages.

That's more than perfect intelligence; it's intelligence combined with
knowledge, the ability to communicate directly with people, and the desire
to be outside the box. Given all that, maybe a PI could talk its way out of
the box. We have no way of knowing what a PI would want, but being a human
creation, we could hardcode a desire to remain in the box. PIs don't have
to be given the ability to self modify.

  If I had a perfect intelligence in a box, I too would be tempted to do as
> it suggested, even if it doesn’t make much sense.  Humans already do this.
> We whack off part of the penis because a long time ago a supernatural
> intelligence told people to do it, then it just kinda spread.

No supernatural intelligence told people to do that.

So he went up to them with his new word and said “Hey you collection of
> [worthless bastards] what is the word for peace and love?  They replied in
> unison Kumbaya, which means [go fuck yourself asshole.]

:-)

-Dave