[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:32:25 UTC 2018

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:

*>That's more than perfect intelligence; it's intelligence combined with
> knowledge, the ability to communicate directly with people,*

There would be no point for human engineers to go to all the trouble of
making a intelligent machine if you gave it no information to work on and
no way for it to input or output anything.

> > *and the desire to be outside the box.*

If it can input and output then its already outside the box just as your
mind is outside the bone box that sits on your shoulders.

> being a human creation, we could hardcode a desire to remain in the box.

If it remains in the box its useless and nobody would bother to build it.
Computers are already out of the box and if we suddenly pulled the plug on
all of them today civilization would collapse by tomorrow and billions
would die.

> >PIs don't have to be given the ability to self modify.

Every computer can self modify, that's why the same hardware can solve
equations play games become a TV and do your taxes.

John K Clark