[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 18:57:23 UTC 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 17:09, spike wrote:

> Dave I must clear up a misconception with regard to Kumbaya.  We use it as a symbol of people getting along, rainbow people swaying in unison at summer camp and so forth, but the plausible urban legend has it that the term came from a missionary who was attempting to write the bible in the obscure language of a remote tribe.  He had trained up a translator to help.  Wanting his version of scripture to appeal to the young men of the tribe, he pointed to a group of young men standing idly by (as the women did all the work (isn’t that they way it is?)) and asked her: what do you call them (pointing to the young men.)  She gave him a word which means worthless bastards.
>
> So he went up to them with his new word and said “Hey you collection of [worthless bastards] what is the word for peace and love?  They replied in unison Kumbaya, which means [go fuck yourself asshole.]

Don't forget the Kumbaya Law!  :)

Quote:
The Kumbaya Law: In any conversation where some of the participants
hold an opinion to the left of other participants, someone with the
more conservative position will compare said person's opinion to the
naivete of "singing around a campfire singing Kumbaya"

BillK