[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Oct 21 17:20:37 UTC 2018

Zero Powers <zero.powers at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Any scenario that ultimately leaves judicial decisions in the hands
of AI strikes me as dystopian. An unstated, yet integral, aspect of
human notions of justice is the concept of empathy. Any adjudicative
ruling made by an agent which has no ability to empathize with the
parties and witnesses will never feel like justice to us, however sound
the ruling might be.

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

 > final decisions, esp. in criminal cases, belong to people.

There's only so much that a system can do without being 'conscious' (in
the sense that we think of ourselves as conscious - having theory of
mind, being self-reflective, etc.). If an AI is created that's able to
function as a member of society, it will need to have these things, so
empathy will be within its capabilities.

There will be a point at which we have to include certain AI systems in
the definition of 'people', and ultimately, of course, they will have
far more of whatever it is that makes people people, than any original
human being could ever have. I expect that any quality or ability that
you can attribute to humans, will be possessed by super-intelligent,
super-conscious AIs, in spades, plus ones that we don't have and
probably can't even imagine.

Ben Zaiboc