[ExI] Maximum Jailbreak, and the legacy of Stephen Hawking Message-ID:

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 22:12:11 UTC 2018

Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Following the visionary cosmism of Nikolai Fedorov and the recently
published final book of Stephen Hawking, I think the future of
humankind must be out there among the stars...

https://turingchurch.net/maximum-jailbreak-and-the-legacy-of-stephen-hawking-3a5773b9e6df

>From the link

> With a fraction of what we spend for useless gadgets, games, apps, fashion, cosmetics, unhealthy food, boring entertainment, and dumb culture, we can start colonizing the moon and the planets now. We can, we must, and we will.

Why?  Neither the moon nor the planets around the Sun are suitable
habit for humans and further, they are deep gravity wells.  Planets
are a horridly inefficient way to use mass.

I would think the advantages of building rotating habitats in free
space (over planetary surfaces was obvious to present day Extropians.
It was to the people in the L5 Society clear back in the 1970s.