[ExI] Why We Should Stop Conflating Human and Machine Intelligence

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:06:47 UTC 2018

"Indeed, some AI researchers maintain a close link with the neuroscience
<https://singularityhub.com/2018/08/14/amazing-map-of-every-synapse-in-the-mouse-brain-points-to-the-roots-of-thinking/>community,
and inspiration runs in both directions. But the metaphor can be a
hindrance to people trying to explain machine learning to those less
familiar with it. One of the biggest risks of conflating human and machine
intelligence is that we start to hand over too much agency to machines. For
those of us working with software, it’s essential that we remember the
agency is human—it’s humans who build these systems, after all.

It’s worth unpacking the key differences between machine and human
intelligence. While there are certainly similarities, it’s by looking at
what makes them different that we can better grasp how artificial
intelligence
<https://singularityhub.com/2018/07/22/from-here-to-human-level-artificial-general-intelligence-in-four-not-all-that-simple-steps/>
works,
and how we can build and use it effectively."

https://singularityhub.com/2018/10/19/why-we-should-stop-conflating-human-and-machine-intelligence/