[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:57:37 UTC 2018

I think we have devolved to the problem of consciousness.  How could a
computer of any complexity experience fear? It can be told that certain
parts of the limbic system are active, and certain behaviors may follow,
but the human experiences of it cannot, in my opinion, be described even to
a fellow human - only in a global sense.  Explain to someone how a piece of
music affects you.  Or why a certain women is not pretty at all but is
highly attractive.

Of course that future AI may have no use at all for emotions or something
similar like we do.  As Sapolsky has shown, if you cut off the prefrontal
cortex from the limbic system, decisions which are made tend to be awful
and most dither and cannot even make them.  So we cannot do without them.

I have no opinion on AI and self-awareness.

  bill w