[ExI] Maximum Jailbreak, and the legacy of Stephen

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Oct 25 04:42:57 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Keith Henson
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 7:24 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Maximum Jailbreak, and the legacy of Stephen

spike at rainier66.com> wrote

> If we created an L5 station, it might support about, say 70 proles
> with a
mass of perhaps (what would you guess Keith?) ten million kg?

You are not thinking in the right order of magnitude.  The
historical/prehistorical lower limit for a group to exist long term is
between 700 and 5000.

Keith

That lower limit had a different set of assumptions of course.  We would
have at our disposal much more intensive genetic screening and embryo
selection.  Under those circumstances, I can imagine very little in the
reproductive department would be left to chance.