[ExI] Weighing the Soul

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 16:32:14 UTC 2018

There is no information unless it is stored, right?  In our brains that
means physical changes occur when information is stored, and potentially it
can be studied scientifically.

When a PC stores information it changes the positive/negative aspects of
the hard drive (tape, whatever), and so is a physical thing, able to be
measured and dealt with scientifically.

Soul, you say, is nonphysical, in contradiction to Descartes and some
others and will never be measured or part of science.  So why don't we quit
using it?  If you can't define it, if you can't measure, it simply does not
exist to a physical monist like me, and so is just nonsense, like magic,
witchcraft and many others that have mostly passed into history.

And it just feels wrong for atheists (naturalists) to talk about souls as
if they exist in some way.  The only way they exist is in the beliefs of
some people, and that is certainly no proof of the existence of anything.

bill w