[ExI] just a thought or two

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 16:28:27 UTC 2018

They are even disapproving famous people from centuries ago because
they didn't conform to modern standards.  bill k

I was chided awhile back for using modern morals to judge Odysseus.  While
he may have been a hero at the time, killing all the men, raping all the
women, enslaving all the children in the villages he raided should be great
crimes in any era.  And poor Thomas Jefferson and his slave mistress and
partner in creating several children.  It maybe was custom at the time to
use slaves any way you wanted, but now - nope.  I do think he should be
forgiven for not freeing his slaves.  He had put his estate and family into
deep debt and probably could not bring himself to just give away all that
money.  And while George Washington did free his slaves, a bit of digging
shows that his attitude towards slaves was terrible by modern standards
(one in particular, if you know that story about a slave who ran away from
him).

The question Bill K raises:  is one set of morals in some way better than
another?  I say, of course.

bill w