[ExI] just a thought or two

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 23:37:42 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:48 PM Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Regarding Kavanaugh, though, presuming Ford’s allegations were true,*

I thought Ford's testimony was far more credible than Kavanaugh's but I
don't think his guilt was proven beyond a reasonable doubt, so if this were
a criminal trial and I was on the jury I'd vote not guilty, but if was a
civil trial that requires only a preponderance of the evidence I'd vote
guilty. And this is not a trial of any sort and the standard is even lower,
nobody is trying to take away Kavanaugh's life or liberty or even his
money, this is a job interview for a lifetime appointment to one of the
most powerful positions in the country, and I think it is appreciate to
reject a person from receiving such a promotion unless they can prove
beyond a reasonable doubt they are fit for the job.  And Kavanaugh  has
certainly not done that.

> *I don’t think in the early 1980s it was socially acceptable for a 17
> year old boy to pin a 15 year old girl down, grope her, grind against her,
> and try to keep her silent while doing it.*

I could not agree more! And in the early 1980s it was expected that a judge
should have a judicial temperament and at at least a pretense of being even
handed and nonpartisan, but we saw none of that on Thursday, what we saw
was rage, tears, self pity, and a lunatic conspiracy theory about Bill and
Hillary Clinton, the Democrats and Dr. Ford concocted the entire thing
in a sinister
plot as revenge for losing the 2016 election. But that is pretty much the
sort of person I'd expect Donald Trump to pick to sit on the highest court
in the land.

By the way, after Thursday I have no difficulty believing Kavanaugh is a
mean drunk.

John K Clark