[ExI] dna

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:48:26 UTC 2019

Spike, our straight arrow boy scout white boy from Whitelandia writes:

"...putting convicts to work is illegal unless they volunteer... "

Actually, no.

Re Thirteenth Amendment to the US Constitution,  w/ attention to:

"...except as a punishment for crime ..."

*Section 1.* Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a
punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted,
shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their
jurisdiction.

*Section 2.* Congress shall have power to enforce this article by
appropriate legislation.

That said, a further note:  Like so many problems that society chooses not
to solve despite an obvious, free, and immediately available solution, the
"problem" of homeless persons pooping on the street has just such a
solution:

As everyone knows, the whole frikkin' city is chock full of toilets.  Every
business, govt office, hospital, library, cop shop, bus station, subway
station, and every private residence has several toilets.  I would wager
that every homeless street dweller is no more that 100ft away from a
functioning toilet.  So I have no sympathy w/ those who decry this problem.

"But, but, but,... those facilities are for..."

As with so many issues of modern life, people can choose either to get
their head out of their ass or to live in shit.

By the way, San Francisco is a big city -- I just got back from a visit --
and the notion that there is shit everywhere is the usual media nonsense.
The problem is almost entirely restricted to a very small area of
downtown.
--
          "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                                                Ray Charles