[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 14:48:37 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 8:57 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> *> This whole notion is a large and growing problem in California.  Laws
> were passed that allow native Americans to block developments with
> unsupported claims that their ancestors once lived there. *

The difference is there is not a scrap of evidence native Hawaiians ever
lived on top of Mauna Kea, in fact there is no evidence any human being
ever stood on top of it before 1823 when a American missionary climbed it.
And the law is on the astronomers side, they won the 4 year legal battle
but that victory gave them nothing. If it wasn't for those superstitious
barbarians the Thirty Meter Telescope would be completed right about now
and we'd have an instrument with 12.5 times the resolution and 156 time the
light gathering power as the Hubble Space Telescope, but instead we've got
nothing. Although it hasn't been formally canceled yet I think we can take
it as a given its never going to be built. Oh well... at least the
invisible man on the mountain won't get scared at night by that big bad
telescope.

John K Clark