[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 195, Issue 5

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 02:47:27 UTC 2019

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <

What I meant is that fecundity is not a good measure of contribution to
> society, because of the present counterexample.  Not to say success is
> absolutely uncorrelated with birth rate now and forever (as you say, that
> is how we and the animals before us got here,) but that fecundity may no
> longer be representative of "good for the species".

### Well, yes, fecundity is not an independent measure of goodness in the
same way intelligence is not an independent measure of goodness. It all
depends on how you use it. Breeding morons and evil geniuses are both to be
deprecated. Still, fecundity and intelligence are sine qua non of survival
and progress, so the smart fecund are socially more valuable than the
non-breeding brights.