[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 195, Issue 9

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 04:26:04 UTC 2019

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 7:47 PM BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> As you well know, Clark's claims have been much criticised.
> He is not a geneticist, he is an economist. He has no genetic evidence
> at all for his claims.

I really do no see how intense selection can avoid genetics.  Do you
doubt intense selection changed the psychology of those tame Rusian
Foxes?  Do you have any reason to expect humans to be free of this
effect?

> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Farewell_to_Alms>
>
> Doubtless the rich enjoy being told that they deserve to be rich due
> to superior genetics and the poor deserve to live in poverty.

After about 1800 this selection mode quit operating.  Why is not entirely clear.

Some large UK genetic studies have found about 30 genes associated
with wealth.  But I doubt there are many people (rich or poor) who
have any idea of the selection the UK population was subjected too.

But what makes one person different from the next?

Keith