[ExI] Fwd: Chalmers

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 22:03:53 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> I am no physicist nor am up on any of the consciousness research and
> can't tell qualia from subjective experience.  But - it would seem a simple
> thing to do brain scans while the subject is looking at red or whatever
> stimulus you want to trace in the brain to its ultimate destination, and
> thus get a picture of what happens in the subject's brain when those
> stimuli are present.

It could show you how the noise "I am experiencing the qualia red" was
produced by the mouth of the subject, but how on earth could a MRI brain
scan every tell you that the brain in question was experiencing the red
qualia, or experiencing any qualia whatsoever? How could you even in theory
ever prove that solipsism was untrue?

John K Clark