[ExI] Fwd: Chalmers

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 00:29:54 UTC 2019

I agree with all of that, John.  I don't know what else you can do with
intelligence research.  People don't think it is tested by the current IQ
tests, but have not come up with alternatives which are demonstrably better.

It tends to correlate with very many things, though not creativity.
Creativity suffers the same problems in that people don't agree with
creativity tests as measuring creativity.  I would agree that thinking of
unusual uses for a brick doesn't appeal to me either (a common test on
which I did poorly, so obviously it's no good).

We all want to know what intelligence is and I am going to enlighten you
now:  it is the ability to answer questions on an IQ test.  We accept that
chemistry class tests measure chemical knowledge, and that physics class
tests measure physics knowledge, but somehow are not happy with IQ tests,
even though they are the most useful tests we have.  I suspect some people
of sour grapes.

What would you like to see done in intelligence research?

bill w

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 5:15 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <