[ExI] newtonmas songs again

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 19:23:19 UTC 2019

"Pudding" is a generic English term for "dessert food".

"Figgy" is an adjective - like unto or containing figs.

The singers are making a rambunctious demand for fig-based dessert pie. The
emphaticness of this demand, and the associated threat, is sufficiently
hyperbolic and outside middle- and upper-class social norms of the period
that it would have been understood as over-the-top absurd humor by the
original audience, and taken as such.

The current literary vogue of "death of the author" nothwithstanding, a lot
of works become much more comprehensible when read in their original
context.

Of course, you can't make a career as a professor of English literature if
you do that, so it's pretty unpopular in academia. :)

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019, 11:44 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <