[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 13:57:02 UTC 2019

Although it comes as no surprise yesterday it became official, Jason Momoa
(aka Aquaman) has won and destroyed the largest telescope in the northern
hemisphere rendering us blind to the most distant objects that exist in
half of the universe, and all because of an invisible man who hates
telescopes and lives at one of the 3 best observing sites on planet Earth
and the only one in the northern hemisphere. Not exactly a triumph of
rationality or a day the human race can be proud of.

Even though the telescope's suporters won every court battle the power of
Aquaman proved to be just too strong, the Governor of Hawaii said the
telescope "would not be proceeding with construction at this time". The
Governor also said "law enforcement will be removed from the site"
apparently thinking that now that they've won the protestors will just go
home. I hope he's right but, although nowhere near the thirty meter
category, that mountain still has the largest telescopes in the northern
hemisphere, and the entire observatory was shut down for over a month
because the astronomers feared for their lives, and now that the mob has
tasted blood I don't know what's going to happen. I do know that if I was
an astronomer on that mountain I'd be scared right now.

 John K Clark