[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 20:00:54 UTC 2019

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 2:23 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <

*> First of all, the colonization efforts in Hawaii are much more recent.
> Recall, the US only annexed in 1898, so about 120 years ago. A few years
> before that, in 1893, Westerners* [...]

As I said, explaining that some native Hawaiians are behaving in a stupid
barbaric and parochial way today now due to something that happened in 1893
may be true but it doesn't make the current behavior one bit less stupid
barbaric and parochial. And I still don't understand why westerners
learning less about the universe will make up for an injustice committed by
them in 1893. I hope you don't think only westerners would have any
interest in such things.

> *Hawaiians are still being treated as if they were second class people.*

What does that have to do with the price of eggs?! What does one thing have
to do with the other, how will learning less about the universe make them
first class people?

There is something else I don't understand, I don't understand why some
people seem to have a visceral need to defend the actions of a anti-science
ignorance embracing mob, or pretty much any sort of mob provided the mob is
not part of their own culture. I don't think westerners are unique in
having shameful events in their past and recent events has certainly proven
that other cultures can behave in stupid barbaric and parochial ways.

 John K Clark