[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 19:20:12 UTC 2019

First of all, the colonization efforts in Hawaii are much more recent. Recall, the US only annexed in 1898, so about 120 years ago. A few years before that, in 1893, Westerners overthrew the government there and setup their own regime. (The Western rulers then called for annexation.) Before that they had forced a constitution on the Hawaiian kingdom. (I’m not trying to say that the Hawaiian monarchy was sacrosanct or the best possible system at the time, though the Westerners who forced the constitution on the Hawaiians certainly don’t seem like they were doing more than entrenching and extending their own power.) So, this colonialism is of rather recent vintage.

After annexation, the Westerners remained in power and pretty much ran the territory (Hawaii didn’t become a US state until 1959) for their benefit. So that’s continuing colonialism until statehood. That brings us well with the lifetime of many folks now. So this isn’t really the ancient or at least distant history you make it out to be.

Also, you might consider continuing structural discrimination in Hawaii, which might be partly dismantled now, but isn’t completely gone. And the issue here seems to be more that Hawaiians are still being treated as if they were second class people.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst