[ExI] Watch a self-driving car race round a stunt course

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 16:24:51 UTC 2019

Quote:
Engineers at Stanford’s Dynamic Design Lab have taught a self-driving
DeLorean — the iconic early 80s sports car of “Back to the Future”
fame — how to drift around a complex, kilometer-long track that even
human drivers would struggle with.
The onboard computer system learns, from dozens of runs, how the
dynamics of the vehicle respond to the road conditions and twists and
turns.
The same kind of technology could one day make the difference between
a pedestrian getting hit or not getting hit by a driverless car,
according to the team.
“We’re trying to develop automated vehicles that can handle emergency
maneuvers or slippery surfaces like ice or snow,” lead engineer Chris
Gerdes said in a statement. “We’d like to develop automated vehicles
that can use all of the friction between the tire and the road to get
the car out of harm’s way. We want the car to be able to avoid any
accident that’s avoidable within the laws of physics.”

<https://futurism.com/self-driving-delorean-stunt-course>
<https://youtu.be/3x3SqeSdrAE>  3 minutes.

BillK