[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 00:42:31 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 6:16 PM John Clark via extropy-chat <

> Bill we're not talking about toys or school supplies, we're talking about
> half the universe, and a telescope that could see things 9 times dimmer
> that anything we can see now. There isn't a comparable next generation
> telescope planned for the Northern Hemisphere that's even on the drawing
> boards, nor is there likely to be any now that the only place such a huge
> telescope can be used to full advantage is off limits due to a army of
> marching morons.
>
> I get the disappointment.   Is there any consolation in a long-game view
that sky gods are dying faster than stars go out?

How many generations does it take for the current memeplex to crumble so
either dollars or sense compels the landowners to recognize the shared
resource of "earth" should actually be shared?

Do you, the identity pattern of crankiness that is John Clark, expect to
live that long?

Maybe instead of officially dead this project can be irritatingly on hold?

I don't know if my own longevity will be sufficient,  but I'd enjoy seeing
your consistent style of disturbing the peace in another hundred years (or
more)  :)