[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Sat Dec 28 18:29:33 UTC 2019

Regarding the question of ownership, it seems it’s leased by the University of Hawaii and owned by the state. I see the protesters don’t recognize the authority and/or process under which ownership happened.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/08/how-world-s-largest-solar-telescope-rose-maui-while-nearby-protests-derailed-larger

“Mauna Kea also poses a bigger management challenge for the University of Hawaii. The science reserve on the Mauna Kea summit spans nearly 5000 hectares—an area more than 650 times larger than Maui’s compact Science City. “If someone is not happy with the management of Mauna Kea, it falls directly on the university,” Hasinger says. “On Haleakalā we only have the small area of Science City. The rest is managed by the national park.” And although the university owns Science City, its preserve on Mauna Kea is a lease, which means it is subject to state audits.“