[ExI] teleportation, anyone?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Wed Feb 20 19:11:56 UTC 2019

Sounds very biology-centric, to me. I really don't see the point in
trying to get biological organisms to survive in an environment that is
extremely hostile to them, when non-biological machines would be much
easier to make and adapt to the environment. Once we've cracked
uploading, biology will become much less important to us, if not
irrelevant altogether. The 'teleportation' idea would really take off
then. Biology will be a quaint side-show, with about as much relevance
for most people as flint knapping has for us now.

Greg Egan has a good take on this concept, with his stories set in a
galactic civilisation where people can travel around the galaxy at the
speed of light, as software packages transmitted by laser. Setting up
the infrastructure would be slow of course, but once in place, anyone
could circumnavigate the galaxy in a few tens of thousands of years
real-time, with each 'jump' taking zero subjective time.

Ben Zaiboc