[ExI] intelligence and generalization

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 03:50:51 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 7:36 PM Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:
> But to give them imagination is to enable them to lie.

No, AIs can lie without imagination.

> How could you trust
> one to upload you rather than simply kill you and impersonate you in order
> to take over your possessions and legal status?

The same way I could trust any human doctor not to do the same
(replacing me with an upload of the doctor instead).

You can, of course, never be 100% certain the upload is the same
person.  It's a distinct discontinuity in identity.  At some level,
you just have to trust.  There's no way around it.  (Which doesn't
mean you don't take several measures to improve the odds that it is
still you afterward.  Just, don't dismiss the entire operation and
measures just because you can't get to 100% chance of survival.  A 99%
chance of you and 1% chance of dead-and-replaced is better than a 100%
chance of dead.)