[ExI] book

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 01:46:52 UTC 2019

All or almost all books on linguistics I’ve read — popular level works by John McWhorter, Stephen Pinker, and David Crystal and more technical works (which one would expect to be descriptive) — have been descriptive. Even books I’ve read focusing on grammar that aim to improve language use — Richard Lanham’s _Style: An Anti-textbook_ and Virginia Tigre’s book come to mind — tend to go against the stereotype of a dry commandment style rules. I’m just wonder who Lane Greene is attacking here.

Of course, there’s nothing writing per se with prescriptive grammar, especially if the goal is, say, to better communicate or to signal one’s seriousness (or silliness), etc. But I’m guessing Greene is speaking out against the dryer Procrustean grammarians... But there’s already been two generations or more of folks speaking out against them — folks like McWhorter, for instance. What does Greene bring to the table that’s not covered by them?

In other news, I read _Wit's End: What Wit Is, How It Works, and Why We Need It_ by James Geary... So so. He gives some tantalizing details about the history and science of wit (on the latter I mean cognitive science and neurology stuff), but it’s fairly thin and doesn’t go deep enough. On the plus side, there are some great lines, stories, and jokes. Of course, I’m always down for a good pun.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst