[ExI] ai emotions

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 04:31:48 UTC 2019

Hi Stuart,

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

> Quoting Brent Allsop:
>
> > A few questions.  I?m assuming that in your model, all this: "Strawberry
> ->
> > Red light -> Eye ->" are identical in both cases.
>
> Yes.
>
> > But what do you mean by
> > this?
> >
> > ?red + your brain = redness. Glutamate exists
> > with or without brains, but redness does not.?
> > I?m assuming that both of these are *different* in your model in the non
> > inverted and inverted set: ?Brain -> Redness??
>
> Yes, that particular expression would be different for somebody with
> inverted qualia such that red + their brain = greenness.
>

> > You?ve indicated that the downstream, ?redness? does not exist without
> the
> > upstream ?brain??
>
> Yes.

Then you are talking about "magic", or ar saying " a miracle happens here.
As I am talking about being causally (in any way physically detectable)
from whatever it is that is this redness you experience.

> > If there is one pixel on the surface of the strawberry that is switching
> > between red and green, what is the physical change in the physics of the
> ?
> > brain? in your model?
>
> It should not change that much. In fact you might not even notice it
> unless you were really up close and looking for it. For example if you
> look closely at the flesh tones of human portraiture painted by
> classically trained artists, you can see small regions of reds,
> greens, blues, and other seemingly unrelated colors making up what
> appears to be a single homogeneous skin tone under various conditions
> of simulated light and shadow.

You are avoiding the questions.  I'm talking about a small patch on the
strawberry just large enough for you to clearly see, and pay attention to,
that is changing from red to green.  What physics is changing?

> >  And is the difference between ?Redness? and ?
> > Greenness? physically or objectively detectable, without cheating by
> > observing anything upstream from your "Redness" and "Greenness"?
>
> No, I don't think so. Your question is a little like asking if it is
> possible to crack a code without having any access to clear text or
> the cypher key. And the answer is: no, not in the life time of the
> universe for all but the most simple of cyphers.

So you are saying qualia are not approachable, nor observable via science,
then?