[ExI] I see pitchforks.

Spike Jones spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jul 14 23:54:39 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2019 2:26 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] I see pitchforks.

OK, so tell me - history was my worst subject and I have not studied any since way long ago, unless it was about science or music:  just when were pitchforks employed?  Prior to capitalism.  Serf rebellions?  Did they happen?  Did they have any effect?  Leave out the FRench Revolution.  Even if you can cite some examples, I'd still say that our era is unique and you can't predict anything accurately from history.  >From my pitiful knowledge of history, it seems that dealing with problems in a culture was always very late in coming, like Viet Nam protests.

I do think this:  that if benefits were ever given to the people, it was nearly impossible to stop them -that's what would bring out the pitchforks.

bill w

BillW, it is a well-known movie trope often attributed to the original Frankenstein movie, but I reviewed the angry mob scene.  They all seemed to have found torches from somewhere (where?) but not one pitchfork is available.  It would be puzzling why I saw no firearms in that angry mob going after a monster.  It could be that pitchforks were not readily available to the Hollywook props crew.

The Simpsons featured a torches and pitchforks mob consisting of the victims of communism tormenting Castro in hell.  Why they need torches in hell isn’t clear:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pitchfork+mob+simpsons <https://www.google.com/search?q=pitchfork+mob+simpsons&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=lt1wj8D8d45QIM%253A%252CylpFuhY-cRDpzM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTjdQQ2mKoJYBz8ucuX2ASzcF_ySA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji6MyxzLXjAhUkMnwKHRdsANcQ9QEwAXoECAYQBg#imgrc=lt1wj8D8d45QIM:> &tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=lt1wj8D8d45QIM%253A%252CylpFuhY-cRDpzM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTjdQQ2mKoJYBz8ucuX2ASzcF_ySA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwji6MyxzLXjAhUkMnwKHRdsANcQ9QEwAXoECAYQBg#imgrc=lt1wj8D8d45QIM:

I found a scene from Spongebob Squarepants where an angry mob passes a street vendor purveying pitchforks, reminding them of the basic requirements of angry mobs:

https://tenor.com/view/spongebob-squarepants-pitchfork-riot-pitchforks-gif-13416816

The entire notion suggests a terrific money-making opportunity: when the proletariat rise up, be on hand with a supply of pitchforks.