[ExI] Superhuman Poker

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:30:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 12:00 PM John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

>> one as smart as they were.*
>>

> If you knew how they did it then you could do it too, but even they didn't
> know how they did it.

Wrong. I might know how a watch keeps time, but that doesn't mean I can
keep time. Their hardware was different than yours and mine. Knowing how to
do something and being able to do it are not the same thing.

*> Pluribus isn't modifying it's own code. When I said it'd say "I just
>> pick the statistically best play", that was overly simplified. It more like
>> "I pick the statistically best play and continually look at my previous
>> play and try different things and adjust the probabilities so I can do
>> better next time".*
>>

> Dave, a program is just code.

A smart guy once said Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs. It's the
data structures that contain the learning.

If a program has changed its behavior then the code must have changed.

False. Please don't make assertions about things you don't understand.

> *> I think you're anthropomorphizing. *
>>

> Of course I'm anthropomorphizing, but you almost make that sound like a
> bad thing.

It *is* bad when it causes you to misunderstand what a program is doing.

> Intelligence isn't everything, John.
>>

> Intelligence may not be everything but results certainly are, and AI
> advances has resulted in the number of tasks that humans can do better than
> machines becoming smaller every day.

No, results are not everything. It's not a contest. We don't lose anything
by building tools that can do things we can't.

> You have to consider motivation, drive, understanding, knowledge,
>> abilities, etc.
>>

> Why? You can use all the above excuses and no doubt find many more to
> explain away why you were outsmarted by a machine, but it wouldn't change
> the bottom line result, you were outsmarted by a machine.

Those aren't excuses, John. Without those things even a superintelligent
poker program is still just a poker program. It's not going to suddenly say
"hey, I'm smarter than these yahoos who built me. I'm going to make them my
slaves."

-Dave