[ExI] Putting a face with the name

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 15:35:43 UTC 2019

On Jul 21, 2019, at 7:56 AM, Spike Jones <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
>
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Putting a face with the name
>
> Which might lead some to ask the snarky question: Where do you waste
> > time then? ;)
>
> I could care less. :P
>
> An odddity in the English language (meaning the people who use it), where two opposite statements are taken by many to mean the same thing:  'could care less', 'could not care less'
>
> bill w
>

> BillW, regarding language oddities, it occurred to me that Spanish-speakers could gender-neutralize their language by borrowing the English article “the” to substitute for their gender-specific (and therefore outdated) terms la and el.  The follow-through whacks off the gender-specific trailing a and o, along with any other suspicious-looking vowels.
>
> The Spanish phrase for inviting a friend into your house, “entre la casa mi amigo” becomes “entre the cas mi amig.”

I wonder if that ever happens: borrowing an article from another language along with deleting the native article and any case markers.

By the way, Old English had three genders and articles that went along with each gender and gender specific case markers (for no less than five cases). I believe that was typical of Germanic languages. Invasions by the Norse made short work of that, it seems. (I believe most of that was worn away or the way out by the time the Normans invaded.)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst