[ExI] stealth singularity

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Jun 16 15:55:27 UTC 2019

Quoting Spike:

> Rechargeable power source, ja good point thanks.  I had forgotten
> that part, dang.  If we don't get carried away with the actuators,
> it shouldn't take much power.
>
> If we keep going with this whole concept, we get down to where I
> think it really eventually goes: immersive reality goggles.  That
> approach standardizes a lotta lotta, and converts the exercise to
> mostly a software task.  As an intermediate step, we could use a
> standard LCD with eye motion or head motion detection, to make it
> respond to the attention of the user.
>
> I have a wide-screen display which might be good for something like
> that.  These things aren't even very expensive anymore.  We might be
> able to adapt Second Life for this purpose somehow.

Actuator servos don't take that much juice. It will be the drive motor
that will be the big drain. But our robot will not need to have a a
long range nor move very fast.

I am not so sure about the virtual companion idea. I read that in
Iraq, American troops developed emotional ties for bomb disposal
robots to the point of feeling grief when the robots were lost in
action, even though they did not look remotely human or even cute.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/09/funerals-for-fallen-robots/279861/

But I have not heard of anybody developing an emotional tie to a
virtual assistant outside of the movie "Her". Anybody else know how
likely an old person is to bond with a "virtual" character?

Stuart LaForge