[ExI] ai emotions

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sat Jun 22 07:55:44 UTC 2019

Quoting Brent Allsop:

>   Intelligent people, at least will understand how we can
> objectively know the difference between these 3 robots that are
> functionally the same, but qualitatively and emotionally very
> different.  Abstract AIs deserve no compassion, no matter how they
> behave.

By your logic, Mary deserves no compassion before she is released from
her colorless prison. I am not quite sure that many examples of an
"abstract AI" exist since neural networks usually map real world
inputs to abstract outputs. For example face, recognition software
would learn to map images of your face to the abstract string of
letters "Brent". How is that fundamentally different than one of your
friends recognizing you in the mall as "Brent"?

Your notion could set a bad precedent. What if someday AI think humans
deserve no compassion because we are not able to phenomenally
experience ultraviolet or radiowaves? Or that we are not conscious
because we are not phenomenalogically conscious at nanosecond time
scales.

Stuart LaForge