[ExI] Red and green qualia

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jun 30 05:36:41 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] Red and green qualia

>>…OK well, do let BillW’s tragic story be a warning.  He too retired, and found himself with far too much time on his hands.  It started out as just having a little fun, but got worse and still worse until he was found in the gutter, reading entire books about… cod.         spike

>…Guilty.  I wonder how many books Spike has on bees...... bill w

Well sure, but I have an excuse: friends give me those.

My favorite beast book isn’t on either cod or bees however.  It’s on ants.  It’s the canonical tome by Bert Holldobler and E.O. Wilson, with the unsurprising title The Ants.

That one is just wicked cool.  Ants are really cool beasts.  One can experiment on them without getting wet or raising the ire of the PETA folks (they refuse to stick up for bugs (but other than that, they are a generally commendable group of people.))

I did some fun stuff with ants before my neighbor hired a mystery guy named Jose who claimed he could rid his house completely of ants without even coming inside, for 100 bucks, paid in cash, no questions asked including any identification past “Jose.”  So… he hired Jose, who showed up with some mystery chemical which I think was probably dimethyl chlordane, sprinkled around my neighbor’s house, had some of the bootleg chemical remaining, so he came over and put some around my house too.  Whatever probably-illegal chemical he used has kept both homes antless for the past dozen years.

So… no more experiments with ants unless I go down the street.

Now if I get lymphoma, I have some idea of who slew me: Jose.