[ExI] stock sales on legal cases

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 12 00:27:51 UTC 2019

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
Subject: Re: [ExI] stock sales on legal cases

Consider the American law firm and its peculiar partnership-based capital structure. Every state in the US prohibits outside investment in law firms by blocking lawyers from sharing profits with non-lawyers. ... Partners in law firms don't have permanent equity, so they forfeit their capital when they retire.May 17, 2016  bill w   first page of Google search

That makes perfect sense.  If it were otherwise, it would be impossible to assemble a fair jury.

As we get deeper into the information age, we can pass information around without detection.  Juries could get in cahoots and line up for payouts.

The Predict_It site gives us the opportunity to bet on the outcome of a case, but really what I was hoping for was a way to invest in it, which is similar in a way but distinct.