[ExI] fermi question alive and well

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 16:31:09 UTC 2019

(Thanks to Spike for mitigating my double posting anxieties)

Now then, JKC--

I merely brought up consciousness to demonstrate the absolute dearth of
human knowledge.  We have zero explanation for what we are or what anything
is.  There are enormous and fundamental gaps in our models of reality.
With that in mind, I think it's clear that hubris is a BAD thing.

Thinking hubris is good is the gravest sin of humans and always leads to
obstinacy.

When thinking about a civilization much more advanced than ours, especially
one with AGI, there's not much speculation we can do that's not silly.

Maybe they have found a way to put waste heat somewhere else.  Maybe they
have a black hole they throw it into.  Who knows?

Cloaking is legitimate.  There could be malevolent entities they wish to
hide from.

But really all I am saying is that a highly advanced (compared to us)
civilization is impossible to analyze in a human framework.