[ExI] Autophagy and Aging

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon May 6 03:11:33 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 5, 2019 at 7:58 AM Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

> Well in the cases of age-related diseases like Alzheimer's, where
> damaged proteins (beta-amyloid plaques) are implicated, the benefit of
> protein recycling is pretty cut and dry.

### The amyloid hypothesis of AD is one of my pet peeves. There is
absolutely no high-quality evidence that amyloid is responsible for
sporadic senile dementia of the Alzheimer's type, although it does cause a
subset of early onset familial AD cases. Many billions of dollars have been
wasted on clinical trials of dozens of different methods of removing
amyloid or preventing amyloid formation and all of them failed, which is
not surprising to me but must have been a slow-moving shock to the
thousands of researchers who got swept up in the amyloid cult.

Why didn't they stop for a moment and think? The amyloid hypothesis is a
just-so story made up by Selkoe and Hardy, with no evidence to support it,
and yet it became a "science is in", done-deal article of faith. Idiots
took mutated genes from three different inherited diseases, put into a
single mouse, saw it get stupider with age and triumphantly proclaimed it's
a valid model of sporadic dementia without mutations in any of these genes.
It just boggles my mind how sheeple-like researchers can be.