[ExI] Just some thoughts, nothing new really

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun May 19 20:50:49 UTC 2019

Quoting Rafal Smigrodzki:

> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 8:50 AM John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I agree with most of that except for your use of the word "home", you
>> obviously don't mean the few thousand square feet under your roof but the
>> few million square miles in the entire USA. And even that may be too small
>> because true hardcore libertarians think nations are phoney artificial
>> divisions, so if you count the entire Earth as your "home" do you have the
>> right to kick me off the planet (perhaps into a hypothetical afterlife) if
>> you don't want to be associated with me?
>>

> ###  So we agree that I have the right to exclude others in my own home.
> Good. But then you tell me I do not have the right to exclude others at the
> level of the nation-state or above. OK, then tell me at which intermediate
> level of organization - street, neighborhood, city, county, province/state
> - do I lose the right of exclusion, and why.

I say that you have the right of unilateral exclusion within your own
home and your surrounding property, and your unilateral right to
exclusion ends precisely where your neighbor's home and yard begins.
Any greater exclusionary authority would require some manner of
compact, agreement, or contract between you and your neighbors. The
scope of which could be as simple as a neighborhood watch program or
as complex as nationwide legislation.  The reason for this is that
otherwise, you are violating your neighbor's right to free association.

Stuart LaForge