[ExI] are we publishing?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat May 25 06:40:05 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 3:37 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> Julian Assange is being charged in the USA of publishing classified
> information.  By extension, anyone who posts stuff to any public venue,
> such as this one, could be charged in the USA of publishing classified
> information if we find out (perhaps after the fact) the nature of the
> information.

Only if the info was classified at the time.

> So now for the notion of freedom of the press to apply, apparently it
> requires a printing press, which Assange never used.  Only the internet.
> This is a bad thing.

Posting things publicly to the Internet has long been recognized as a form
of publishing.  So, yes, posting to this list - so long as this list has a
public archive well known to its members (such as by being listed in the
signature) - legally counts as "publishing".  It would not be a good idea
to post classified information to this list.