[ExI] are we publishing?

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat May 25 13:09:59 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:41 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> *> I see little difference between Assange publishing the Manning
> documents and the New York Times and Washington Post publishing the
> Pentagon Papers in 1971.*

One could argue the two actions display different degrees of wisdom but as
far as rights are concerned I agree with you, there is no difference.  In
related news from the wonderful world of fascism Germany is pushing for a
law that would require every cryptographic program in the country to have a
backdoor in it that the government can use whenever it wants to know what
you're up to. Australia has done the same thing; when it was pointed out to
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull that the laws of mathematics tell us that
it is impossible to have a cryptographic system strong enough to keep the
bad guys out but weak enough to let the government in replied:

*"**Well the laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of
that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that
applies in Australia is the law of Australia."*

As for the current hillbilly president of the USA, he's been trying to do
the same thing for years:

"Strong" encryption that government can break at will
<https://boingboing.net/2017/11/09/wanting-it-both-ways.html>

John K Clark