[ExI] Bergson and Einstein are still debating the nature of time and change

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Nov 27 20:33:54 UTC 2019

In his blog @
https://turingchurch.net/bergson-and-einstein-are-still-debating-the-nature-of-time-and-change-7fae5d92d235

Giulio Prisco writes:

"David Deutsch noted that other times “are just special cases of other
universes.” So other times are real: Bergson and Einstein are still
debating the nature of time and change."
----

Indeed and their doppelgangers Ergson and Binstein also are no doubt
somewhere arguing over renaissance poetry. Space is vast, If it is
infinite, then so are we. Every permutation of matter and energy is
manifested somewhere. So we all occur infinite many times in infinite
many contexts.
---

"Other physicists include decoherence in their own favorite
interpretations of quantum mechanics and theories of quantum
measurement with collapse."
---

I don't see decoherence as being any more necessary than collapse in
Everett's MWI. If one posits the existence of all possible Everett
branches, all completely superdetermined, the result would be
indistinguishable from what we observe. With all randomness
attributable completely to our ignorance of which of the infinite
Everett branches we reside in. This view also seems to corroborate the
Wheeler-Dewitt equation which implies that the total energy and
information of the multiverse as a whole is unchanging and therefore
cannot be said to experience time at all.
---

"Back to the questions. Is physical reality deterministic? Is physical
reality reversible? Is information conserved, or do natural processes
destroy and create information? These questions are, I think, far from
settled.
I suspect that both views might be valid, with subtly different
conceptions of time and information."

If MWI is true, then physical reality could be more than simply
deterministic, it could be superdeterministic for each and every of
your entangled non-local quantum doppelgangers. With each version of
you predestined to make the very choices that lead to your observation
of a given state of the universe, yourself included.

Information is conserved between universes in the multiverse because
information is by nature non-local. A single qubit (or even classical
bit) can span multiple Everett branches and connect parts of the
expanse that are not otherwise causally connected. That is a direct
consequence of Bell's inequality violations. But most of the time it
isn't. I think this is because the Bekenstein bound places an upper
limit on the information density of space-time but no lower limit
seems to exist. Therefore a one bit degree of freedom like spin-up or
spin-down can span the observable universe and beyond. This
non-locality of information is also necessitated by the Universal
Wave-function itself as posited by Everett. It could not define the
Everett branches if it could not transcend and connect all of (not
just causally-connected) space-time.

We are each a spectrum of information patterns, each different from
one another by the sum total of the different choices we make out of
all possible choices available to us. But all we ever see is the
specific spectral line that the particular instance of ourselves that
we we find ourselves to be makes.

With regards to physical reality being reversible, I suspect that it
is only reversible for photons (see delayed-choice quantum eraser
experiment for details), while matter particles are stuck in
unidirectional time as a consequence of having rest mass.

Information seems to be conserved across Everett branches but not
necessarily within them. So when one universe loses information, like
when a hard drive crosses an event horizon or cosmological horizon,
another universe gains it.

Any way, though-provoking post, Giulio.

Stuart LaForge