[ExI] Hacking voting machines

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Oct 24 05:03:00 UTC 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:17 PM
To: ExI Chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com>
Subject: [ExI] Hacking voting machines

After every election the past few years, the list has discussed how
vulnerable voting machines are to tampering. But this video from
professional pen-tester Rachel Tobac really brings the point home. It shows
her getting to the admin menu in under 2 minutes. And most of that is
waiting for the machine to boot up after being shut off.

https://www.inverse.com/article/48038-here-s-how-a-voting-machine-used-in-18
-states-can-be-hacked-in-two-minutes?fbclid=IwAR04Ge_wATAOazuXqcdW4Rplp8sqgS
NZihZV8-AtKPnCZtaWFvwgN2KxyAQ

I really think it is time for a fully transparent open-source zero-trust
voting system based on blockchain technology where anybody can count the
votes and anybody can verify that their vote was counted.

Stuart LaForge

Stuart thanks for mentioning this.  The animosity we have seen build in
America over one office (POTUS) is ample motive to make sure we don't have a
disputed election in 2020.  I would suggest going with all paper ballots, no
counting machines, no paperless anything.  We should take those voting
machines and smash them to flinders forthwith: in our times they are too
dangerous.  Even the perception of possible indiscretion is something we
really don't want in a nuclear armed nation.