[ExI] it's your choice

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 4 17:46:30 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] it's your choice

You must know things I don't about 23 and me.  How do you know the surveys are failures?   bill w

The reports they offer regarding individual disease have not proven particularly helpful.

For instance, my report came back showing the most prevalent risk (8 times higher than the normal range) is type 1 diabetes.  I have found not one relative anywhere with that condition.

I have a good friend who is a doctor who has actual adult-onset type 1, so I got her interested, she took the test, no indication in the survey she was at increased risk.

Over time, that might become a more useful tool, but I fear the whole notion is too vulnerable to actual type 2 diabetics who don’t know the difference.