[ExI] reasonable what ifs

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Apr 9 18:08:39 UTC 2020

> On Behalf Of Dave Sill via extropy-chat

>…Hmm... It's almost like people can't afford to work there on minimum wage, or something. Is housing ridiculously expensive there or something? :-)

Ehhh, yes.

>… I guess if employers can't hire people at minimum wage they could do something wacky like try offering them more.

-Dave

Ja, there is that strategy.  They already pay more than minimum.  Typically about 15 bucks an hour is a typical starting wage, but it is hard to find people who will work for that.

The real challenge is for grocery stores to hire enough people who will come down to half their previous salary to box groceries.  As a grocer, you would need to compete with unemployment benefits for the next six months, which would pay better than they can afford.