[ExI] The USA is number one!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Apr 12 21:55:45 UTC 2020

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] The USA is number one!

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 5:26 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

> If you need to keep citing death rates from a flu that originated in China to somehow promote your political views, that is not only a fail, it is an epic fail.

I can believe China could be somewhat fudging its death numbers, but I can not believe it is doing so by a factor of 20…

If it makes you feel any better, I don’t believe the factor of 20 either.  I think it is probably more like a factor of 50.

After this year is over, we can look at the death rates by country, take the delta of this year vs a five year average and estimate that excess as the real Covid-19 numbers.  We can easily see how US numbers can be inflated if desperate hospitals are furloughing workers because of light patient load and the availability of federal funding if the patient is C-19 positive.  Of course that is going to influence the numbers.

> Covid-19 is a disease, not a political talking point.

Yes, and that's why I disagreed with He Who Must Not Be Named when he said Covid-19 was a Democratic hoax dreamed up by liberals after the Ukraine impeachment stuff failed to get rid of him.

 John K Clark

But he didn’t say that:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-coronavirus-rally-remark/

The alleged hoax remark was made four weeks after restrictions were put in place for travel from China.  Those restrictions are not consistent with a belief that the virus is a hoax.

Covid-19 is a disease, not a political talking point.